Discover Mendrisiotto and Ticino
Mendrisiotto is the southernmost district of Ticino and Switzerland. It lies between Lake Lugano and Lake Como, its hills glowing with the golden reflections of the vineyards and its valleys reverberating with the rhythm of nature, while its towns offer sought-after museums and unique collections.
Visit one of Mendrisiotto's fairs and festivals, and you are likely to experience toasts with Ticino Merlot and the authentic flavours of local products. Popular culture and traditions always provide an opportunity for a good time.
- Carnival - February
- Historic Processions - Easter / April
- Mangialonga (food and wine hike) - May
- Music Festival - June
- Open Cellars - July
- Sagra del Borgo (Grape Festival) - September
- San Martino Fair - November
- Christmas Markets - December
From the sculptures by Vincenzo Vela, born in Ligornetto in 1820, to the contemporary architecture of Mario Botta, a holiday in Mendrisiotto provides an opportunity to admire works created by great artists and brilliant minds. You can also journey back in time to hundreds of millions of years ago and discover fossils that show how a great ocean once lapped against Monte San Giorgio, where the Ceresiosaurus dived in search of fish.
List of suggested activities
- Baumgartner Gallery - Mendrisio
- Monte San Giorgio - UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Pinacoteca Züst (picture gallery) - Rancate
- Museo dei Fossili (fossil museum) - Meride
- Vincenzo Vela Museum - Ligornetto
- Art Museums - Mendrisio
- Teatro dell’architettura (theatre of architecture) - Mendrisio
- a.x. museum - Chiasso
- Museo del Trasparente (illuminated paintings museum) - Mendrisio
- Museo della Civiltà Contadina (museum of peasant life) - Stabio
- Gole della Breggia Park / Percorso del Cemento (cement works trail) - Morbio Inferiore
- Francesco Borromini - Birthplace in Bissone
- Accademia d'Architettura Mario Botta (architecture academy) - Mendrisio
- Cave di Arzo (quarries)
- Biblioteca LaFilanda (library) - Mendrisio
Mendrisiotto and Ticino provide families with many opportunities for fun and entertainment. Theme parks like Swissminiatur will make you feel like a giant as you discover the beauty of Switzerland, while water parks give kids the opportunity to have fun in the pools and parents the chance to relax with spa treatments. And for adults who want to try their luck at a casino, there is no shortage of opportunities. Place your bets!
- Swissminiatur - Melide
- California Acquapark - Balerna
- Splash&Spa Tamaro - Rivera
- Admiral Casino - Mendrisio
- Tremona Archaeological Park - Mendrisio
From small craft shops to town centre boutiques, and from shopping malls selling big brands to fashion outlets, Mendrisiotto and Ticino offer a shopping experience that will satisfy all your clothing, homeware, technology and food and wine requirements. A winning blend of elegance, affordability and authenticity.
- Fox Town - Mendrisio
- Mendrisiotto traders’ association
- Piazzale alla Valle - Mendrisio
- Centro Shopping Serfontana - Morbio Inferiore
- Centro Breggia - Balerna